Fourth line lifts Sharks to win over first place Kings

LOS ANGELES — Sharks coach Pete DeBoer spent the night shuffling up his top two lines. In the end, his bottom line won the game.

Joel Ward scored the game-winning goal at 12:50 of the third, redirecting Barclay Goodrow’s shot from the side wall with his skate to give the Sharks (10-6) a 2-1 win over the first-place Los Angeles Kings (11-4-2) at Staples Center.

Joakim Ryan picked up his second NHL point by earning the secondary assist.

The fourth line notched the decisive goal after DeBoer split up Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski for the first time in his tenure as the Sharks coach. He eventually reunited them in the third period.

Related Articles

Sharks’ DeBoer explains Thornton’s reduced ice time last week

Sharks’ Meier gets disciplined for decking Canucks’ defenseman

Three takeaways: Sharks’ Meier could face suspension for cheap shot on Canucks’ Del Zotto

Dell shines as Sharks grind out win over Vancouver Canucks

Popular Sharks television analyst taking leave of absence

Martin Jones kept the Sharks in the game, stopping 26 shots in a pitcher’s duel against Kings netminderJonathan Quick, who he backed up for two seasons in Los Angeles.

Jones closed his five hole to thwart Tanner Pearson’s backhand attempt on a breakaway with 16:15 left in the third, allowing the Sharks to tie it up later in the period.

Melker Karlsson tied the game at 5:42 of the third, notching his third of the year by punching in the rebound of a Logan Couture shot on the rush. The assist gave Couture …read more

Source:: The Mercury News

Vance Joseph addresses QB decision, future of coaching staff after loss to Patriots

The Broncos’ fifth-consecutive loss was another blowout, this time at the hands of the New England Patriots. The Broncos again had issues in all three phases, but none bigger than the four gaffes by special teams, which resulted in 24 points for the Patriots.

After the game, coach Vance Joseph said fingers deserved to be pointed at all — players and coaches. But he was asked specifically if he believed the team will have to make personnel changes before the season ends, a not-so-subtle way of asking if someone on his staff will soon be fired.

“I’ll say this: When you lose like this, it’s on all of us,” Joseph said. “It’s a staff that we chose and that we feel great about. I wouldn’t say that; I would say it’s on all of us. We have to coach better and play better.”

Quarterback Brock Osweiler went 18-of-33 for 221 yards, a touchdown, one interception and a 72.9 passer rating. He engineered three first-half drives that brought the Broncos into or close to the red zone, but each stalled and Denver had to settle for field goals. It wasn’t until the third quarter that they punched the end zone with a 7-yard touchdown by Demaryius Thomas.

The performance by Osweiler wasn’t strong enough to outright guarantee him the starting job in Week 11.

We’ll see,” Joseph said. “We’re going to watch the tape (Monday) as a staff and determine who the quarterback is next week.”

Joseph insinuated after the Broncos’ loss at Philadelphia in Week 9 that players didn’t give their full effort, though he quickly changed his tune after reviewing the film a day later. Sunday, Joseph said effort wasn’t among the Broncos’ many problems against New England.

“We have a good locker room,” he said. “We have good leaders there. … It’s the execution. …read more

Source:: The Denver Post

Lawsuit seeks new recourse on for-profit college fraud

WASHINGTON — Two women who claim they were defrauded by a for-profit college have sued the Education Department and a private loan servicer in a case their attorneys say could provide a new legal remedy for tens of thousands of students frustrated with the department’s inaction on claims seeking loan forgiveness.

The lawsuit, filed Sunday in federal court in New York, comes as the department begins work this week rewriting Obama administration rules designed to boost protections for students defrauded by their schools.

Tina Carr and Yvette Colon had attended Sanford-Brown Institute, a for-profit college in New York, and are seeking to have their student loans erased. Their lawsuit cites federal and state law that prohibits fraud as well as the contract they signed with their school. Previous lawsuits invoked the department’s own regulations in their search for loan relief.

Attorneys for the two students say the new approach is necessary because Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has stalled consideration of tens of thousands of similar claims from borrowers.

Colon completed the school’s certificate program to work as a cardiac sonographer, only to learn that her credentials were invalid and that she couldn’t transfer her credits to other schools, as had been promised, according to the suit. Colon is asking for the cancellation of her four federal and two private loans totaling $21,000.

Carr trained to be a medical assistant. She says the school lied to her about job placement assistance and the ability to transfer credits. Carr has defaulted on her $14,500 federal loans and wants the loan forgiven.

“People’s rights not to pay for defective products is well established in law, so whatever the Department of Education is or is not doing, the legal rights of borrowers continue to exist and are enforceable against the government just as they are against private parties,” said Toby …read more

Source:: The Denver Post

Brendan Bottcher clinches final men’s berth into the Roar of the Rings

SUMMERSIDE, P.E.I. — Brendan Bottcher and his Edmonton rink have earned their chance to go for an Olympic berth.

Bottcher rolled to a 9-5 win over Glenn Howard on Sunday in the men’s B-side final of the 2017 Road to the Roar pre-trials.

The win clinched the final men’s spot in the Roar of the Rings next month in Ottawa, where Canada’s four-player curling teams for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea will be decided.

“Amazing,” said the 25-year-old Bottcher.

“We came into this game and tried to lower our expectations a little bit, and just go out there and play well. That was the goal. But when you win, and now you’re in the Trials and all that comes with it, it’s huge.”

Bottcher is backed up by third Darren Moulding, second Brad Thiessen and lead Karrick Martin.

After holding Howard, from Tiny, Ont., to a single in the first, it was Bottcher’s team that controlled much of the remainder of the draw, with the exception of the eighth end when Howard was able to steal a point to go up 5-4.

But Bottcher came straight back to retake the lead with two in the ninth, and put the game away with a steal of three in the 10th when Howard couldn’t pull off a long raise to salvage a single point and force an extra end.

“It’s huge for all of us to get (to the Trials), to experience it, and we’re coming in as the huge underdogs, which I think frees us up a little bit to just go out there and play well again,” said Bottcher. “There’s zero expectation of how we’re going to do there. So I’m just looking forward to being there, enjoying it all and hopefully getting all the experience we can.”

Bottcher joins a men’s field that includes fellow …read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca