Watch: Aberdeen residents out in force against flats plan at landmark quarry

Dozens of residents turned out in force to protest against a controversial housing development at one of Aberdeen’s most famous landmarks.

Around 45 people took part in the demonstration, voicing opposition to the proposed flats at Rubislaw Quarry.

Secretary of Craigiebuckler and Seafield community council, William Sell. with protestors at Rubislaw Quarry.

Canadian developer Carttera wants to build 299 flats at the site and the project is due to go before Aberdeen City Council planners tomorrow.

The development is recommended for approval.

On the council’s website 350 objections have been made to the plan, with residents citing the design, height and lack of need for the development as reasons for it not to go ahead.

William Sell, the secretary of Craigiebuckler and Seafield Community Council, said: “We’re out here to spur people on, to get in touch with their councillors to voice their opinions on the Rubislaw Quarry development.

“You’d be surprised about the number of people who don’t know about the development, and we’re just trying to spur the public on to lobby the planning committee.”

Mr Sell was pleased with the turnout at the “11th hour” protest.

Artist impression showing location of the proposed new development at Rubislaw Quarry.

Lesley Lewis, a resident of Queen’s Road, adjacent to the quarry, said: “My main objection is the amount of traffic that it would cause. I worry about my kids crossing the road to get the school bus.”

Kim Ingram, who stays in Edgehill Terrace, said: “This is going to affect my life. If there’s 300 parked cars in the area I will not be happy.”

Ms Ingram also said the flats would have a negative impact on an already “saturated” rental market.

A spokeswoman for Carterra said: “We are delighted the city’s planning officers are supporting approval of this architecturally striking building to breathe life in to Rubislaw Quarry and be a …read more

Source:: Evening Express – All articles

Aberdeen man found dead was ‘scared’ and ‘trembling’ as he told friend he thought would be beaten

An Aberdeen man found dead in his flat was “scared” and “trembling” as he told a friend he thought he was going to be beaten up, a murder trial has heard.

Ryan Gibb, 32, and Cameron Laurie, 33, are on trial at the High Court in Aberdeen accused of murdering James Chadwick, 37, at his address on the city’s Holland Street on the night of August 31 into September 1 2015.

James Chadwick

They are accused of striking Mr Chadwick on the face, punching, pushing and struggling with him and sitting on top of him.

It is also alleged they repeatedly struck him with a dog lead or similar instrument and kicked and stamped on his head and body, murdering him.

They are further accused of attempting to defeat the ends of justice by cleaning blood from Mr Chadwick’s head and body, falsely claiming to have witnessed a male being assaulted and by disposing of a dog lead or similar instrument.

The pair deny the charges against them.

The High Court in Aberdeen

On the second day of the trial the court heard Gibb’s mother, Tracy, had been in a relationship with Mr Chadwick.

Andrew McKay, who had been friends with Mr Chadwick for around 12 years, gave evidence and was questioned about the last time he had seen him.

Asked by advocate depute James Keegan about his mood he replied: “He was scared. He was trembling.”

He asked if Mr Chadwick said why he was scared and the witness said: “Yes, he thought some guys were going to beat him up.”

The court also heard from Ronald Taylor, who Mr Chadwick had visited on August 28 2015.

Under questioning from Mr Keegan he said Mr Chadwick had been “crying” and received two voicemails from Gibb, offering to lend him money.

Keith Stewart QC, representing Gibb, asked Mr Taylor about Mr Chadwick crying and …read more

Source:: Evening Express – All articles

North-east mum fined for growing cannabis tells of joy as review into use as medicine announced

A north-east mum fined for growing cannabis plants to help with the side-effects of her cancer treatment has welcomed a review into medicinal use of the drug.

Jacqui Ritchie, from Stonehaven, who used cannabis oil during the chemotherapy she was receiving for breast cancer, spoke of her joy after the review was announced at the House of Commons.

Home Secretary Sajid Javid made a statement yesterday regarding the issue following a series of appeals from people to be able to gain access to cannabis oil to help with illnesses including epilepsy.

Among those has been Charlotte Caldwell, who has battled with the Government to get a licence for cannabis oil for her son, Billy, 12, who has severe epilepsy.

She called for high-concentrate cannabis oil to be made legal in the UK after claiming it has drastically helped her son’s treatment.

Mum-of-two Jacqui, 50, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer in 2014. She ended up in court last year after admitting growing four cannabis plants and was fined £450.

However, Sheriff Morag McLaughlin noted there was “significant” mitigation in her case.

Jacqui said: “What Charlotte has done is simply amazing.

“She has made the medicinal cause take a massive leap forward by highlighting this.

“I think it is brilliant what she has done by showing the benefits.

“Cannabis oil can really help and it allowed me to keep working as a self-employed hairdresser through chemotherapy.

“Since the case when the plants were confiscated I have found myself struggling.”

Jacqui, who is mum to daughter Tegan, 17, and son Connor, 16, lost her grandmother and two aunts to cancer as they both had the same rare cancer gene mutations.

She added: “I’m back and forth with the doctors and you have to think ‘how many people this could help if it was able to be prescribed?’

“I was made a criminal …read more

Source:: Evening Express – All articles

England smash ODI records as Australia are humiliated at Trent Bridge

Alex Hales England vs. Australia ODI series Trent Bridge

Description

England’s Alex Hales smashed 147 runs in the third ODI against Australia at Trent Bridge

Credits

Lindsey Parnaby/AFP/Getty Images Alt Text

Alex Hales England vs. Australia ODI series Trent Bridge

Alex Hales hits 147 as England seal series victory with two matches to spare

One-Minute Read

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 – 7:48am

It wasn’t just Australian wickets that tumbled at Trent Bridge yesterday – so did one-day records as England obliterated their old foe in sensational style.

See related

England vs. Australia ODI series: fixtures, results and squads

The hosts smashed a world-record 481-6 in their 50 overs, the highest one-day international (ODI) total in history, before taking just 37 overs to dismiss the Aussies for 239.

The crushing victory was England’s third in the ODI series and means they have an unassailable lead with two games to spare. The 242-run defeat was Australia’s heaviest defeat in 47 years and 915 games of one-day cricket, surpassing a 206-run loss to New Zealand in 1986.

England’s total was just one of several records set on a memorable day for the Nottingham crowd, who in years …read more

Source:: The Week – All news