We’re ‘Getting Closer and Closer’ to VIP Declassified Docs, Nunes Says

House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said late Monday that Congress is finally “getting closer and closer” to receiving the information demanded from the Department of Justice (DOJ) on two government investigations.

“Really where we are at, a lot of people ask, ‘Well what’s left?’ We still have information that we need from the Department of Justice,” Nunes said on Fox News’ “Hannity.” “However, I will say as of tonight we are getting closer and closer to having the information that we need.”

Nunes was referring to the FBI’s 2016 investigation of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a home-brew email server to transmit and receive classified information and allegations that aides to President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign colluded with Russian interests.

The Nunes panel, with the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and the House Committee on the Judiciary, has been seeking and subpoenaing DOJ documents related to those investigations for months.

But the DOJ repeatedly has failed to comply fully with the congressional subpoenas and has often instead released heavily redacted versions of the documents, much to Nunes’ frustration.

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and nine other House members even went so far as to introduce articles of impeachment against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in July for his failure to comply fully with the subpoenas. The impeachment attempt ultimately went nowhere.

Although Nunes admitted that the DOJ eventually either allowed congressional investigators to review the subpoenaed documents or turned over many of them “in one form or fashion or another,” he warned that”in the big picture, we need these documents declassified.”

“That has to get done,” Nunes insisted. “There is still more that has to be done and we are, of course, months and months late.”

Nunes particularly is focused on the …read more

Source:: LifeZette

Paul Laxalt, Reagan’s ‘First Friend,’ Dead at 96

Former Nevada Sen. Paul Laxalt died Monday at the impressive age of 96 at a health care facility in Virginia. Through his near-century of life, Laxalt always championed American causes and conservatism, while embodying what it means to be an American and believing in underdogs when others didn’t.

I remember interning on Capitol Hill in the summer of 1977 and, as I was walking down the hall of the Russell Senate Building one day, another intern nudged me, pointing to Laxalt walking toward us and said, “there is the nicest guy in the Senate.” He was right.

On that sweltering day, Laxalt was the picture of cool, wearing a seersucker suit and black cowboy boots. In later years, we became friends and he took a deep and abiding interest in my books about President Ronald Reagan and was always helpful.

Laxalt first became acquainted with the future president when the two men were neighboring governors Laxalt in Nevada, Reagan in California. There, they hit it off and formed what became an alliance and friendship that endured as long as both lived.

During their gubernatorial tenures in the late 1960s and early 1970s, they worked together to create the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency to protect the beautiful Lake Tahoe. Though the agency’s results were “mixed,” according to biographer Lou Cannon, “Reagan and Laxalt gave it a chance.” Typical. They were both eternal optimists.

While Reagan retired from politics after declining to seek a third term as governor, Laxalt went national; he was elected in 1974 to the Senate as his state’s junior senator by fewer than a thousand votes, defeating then-Lt. Gov. Harry Reid in 1974.

Laxalt won that race despite disgraced President Richard Nixon’s scandals draped around the Republican Party. Laxalt’s victory was almost a miracle, with Watergate and Republican corruption and incompetence hanging over the …read more

Source:: LifeZette

Illegals Are Self-Deporting to Canada Because of Trump, Says Report

Illegal aliens are self-deporting to Canada, crossing the U.S. northern border due to President Donald Trump’s enforcement of current immigration law.

This is no doubt a shock to our neighbors to the north, who pride themselves on orderly and legal immigration — exactly what the U.S. has been demanding under Trump.

One illegal alien single mother from Eritrea, in northeast Africa — with two U.S.-born so-called “anchor babies” — decided to leave Las Vegas and head to Canada after she was denied asylum.

“So now I am here just hoping it gets better,” she said, as The Washington Post noted in a new piece that shared the experiences of illegal aliens who are self-deporting in order to avoid action by U.S. authorities.

“Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities,” as a recent article in The Atlantic pointed out. “Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in.”

Another illegal alien from Sri Lanka named Modarage, a 51-year-old living illegally in the U.S. since 2005, also spoke to The Washington Post. He said he fled from Maryland to Canada after he heard that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency was doing more to watch U.S. businesses that are hiring illegal aliens over American citizens — including raiding and auditing Maryland convenience stores and searching for workers here illegally.

“Donald Trump’s administration has pushed me here [to Canada],” Modarage told The Post, noting he arrived in Plattsburgh, New York, with two sets of clothing and $300.

“All immigrants are under threat … If I got deported, it would kill me,” the same man also said.

Since October 2017, the Trump administration has checked employment records at 6,093 …read more

Source:: LifeZette