Orlando Magic keeping options open with No. 1 pick in NBA draft

For the Orlando Magic, who have the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, it’d seem like the pre-draft process would’ve been winding down by Monday.

The college basketball season ended over 2 1/2 months ago and the Magic won the draft lottery that secured them the top pick in the draft almost five weeks ago.

Most pre-draft workouts and interviews wrapped up early this week, with most of the top prospects traveling to New York City for the draft.

But as Magic president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman sees it, “it’s still early in the process” and there’s plenty of time for Orlando to mull over what it’s going to do.

“My dad used to tell me if the paper is due on Friday, don’t turn it in on Monday,” Weltman said when speaking with reporters on Monday. “We’re going to continue to evaluate. New information comes in all the time.”

This “paper” is due Thursday evening, but the sentiment remains — the Magic are going to use all the time they can before deciding what they’ll do with the draft’s No. 1 pick.

Weltman said he expects the Magic to use the No. 1 pick.

It’s rare for the top pick to be traded. Since the draft lottery started in 1985, the No. 1 pick has only been traded three times on or before draft night (1986, 1993 and 2017).

But Weltman wouldn’t rule anything out. Deadlines create movement, options and offers that weren’t previously on the table until the last possible moment.

“It’s our job to explore any avenue to get our team better,” Weltman said. “We’ll take as much time as we can to do that.”

Former Duke forward Paolo Banchero, Gonzaga big man Chet Holmgren and Auburn forward Jabari Smith Jr. have been considered the …read more

Source:: The Denver Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.