A young North Vancouver woman who was the victim of a brutal sexual assault during a pre-grad party is angry that her attacker will only spend two weeks in custody.
The victim, who was 17 at the time of the incident and can’t be identified due to a publication ban, was attending the unsanctioned party at a Vancouver nightclub along with several hundred other young people, including the young offender, who was 16 and whose identity is also covered by the ban.
The two went into a washroom stall where the offender forcibly digitally penetrated her against her will, twice forced fellatio on her and forced her to have sexual intercourse.
The offender was convicted in November 2017 of one count of aggravated sexual assault and one count of forcible confinement. He was also convicted of an earlier sexual assault of another girl.
In November last year, Provincial Court Judge Paul Meyers sentenced him to a maximum three-year term for a youth committing a serious offence, with just two weeks of that period to be spent in juvenile custody and the rest of the time under supervision in the community.
“It makes me really upset,” the victim said Thursday in her first public comments on the sentencing. “People go on vacation for two weeks.”
Her father, who also can’t be identified, said: “Two weeks in a daycare, that’s what the guy got.”
The Crown, which had sought to have the offender serve the full three-year period in custody, isn’t planning to appeal the sentence, a decision that doesn’t sit well with the victim either.
“Not appealing it sucks a lot. I feel like this whole situation shows other people who have survived sexual assault, there’s nothing they can do to get real justice,” she said. “It’s been hard for me to even trust anyone through all of this …read more
Source:: Vancouver Sun