High schoolers throughout the Bay Area plan to join in a nation-wide walkout from class for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. Wednesday in a statement against gun violence a month after a former student fatally shot 17 classmates and staff at a Parkland, Florida high school.
The walkout was organized by Women’s March Youth Empower, a group of high school and college students from around the country.
“We are living in an age where young people like us do not feel safe in our schools,” the group said on its campaign website. The group asks students “to protest Congress’ inaction to do more than tweet thoughts and prayers in response to the gun violence plaguing our schools and neighborhoods.”
Authorities allege that on Feb. 14, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz strode into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, where he had been expelled, and fatally shot 14 students, a teacher, a coach and the athletic director. Cruz allegedly used a military-style semiautomatic rifle he purchased legally.
The incident reignited the nation’s impassioned debate over guns, much like earlier school shootings in Newtown, Conn., and Columbine, Colorado.
Hiwad Haider, a senior at Prospect High School and spokesman for March For Our Lives San Jose, said students are “working to bring attention to the need for a more comprehensive response to gun violence.”
Notre Dame San Jose, a private Catholic college preparatory school, is supporting students who will march on the sidewalk around the block and at 10:14 a.m., will ring the campus bell inviting students to stop and link arms.
“The goal is to have everyone around the entire block connected,” school spokeswoman Brigitte Heiser said. “They will then stand for three minutes in silence and memory of the lives lost and impacted by gun violence across the country.”
At Cupertino High School, students plan to march to …read more
Source:: The Mercury News