Qualcomm rejects Broadcom’s $103 billion purchase offer


NEW YORK — Qualcomm rejected an unsolicited, $103 billion offer from Broadcom, saying that the proposal is significantly undervalued and that a tie-up between the massive chipmakers would face substantial regulatory resistance.

Qualcomm said Monday that it’s in a unique position to grow on its own.

“We are highly confident that the strategy (CEO Steve Mollenkopf) and his team are executing on provides far superior value to Qualcomm shareholders than the proposed offer,” said Tom Horton, Qualcomm director.

Broadcom’s bid last week represented a 28 percent premium over the closing price of Qualcomm shares on November 2, but analysts were expecting Qualcomm to reject the $70-per-share bid.

Qualcomm, which makes the Snapdragon chips found in smartphones and tablets, is the world’s No. 3 chip supplier, according to research firm Gartner. A combination with Broadcom would not have propelled it past industry leaders Intel and Samsung.

Related ArticlesNovember 13, 2017

When Pandora seems stuck, clean it up or make a switch

November 12, 2017

Brewers line up for malt made from barley stashed for 100 years

November 12, 2017

Walmart Pay threatens to surpass Apple in U.S. mobile payments

November 12, 2017

How to ask for a raise in 3 easy-ish steps

November 12, 2017

Six ways Amazon could reshape America’s pharmacy business model

Broadcom Ltd., also announced, in the company of President Donald Trump, that it would bring its corporate address back from Singapore, to Delaware. The company hopes the change will make it easier to get deals done and more specifically, help it avoid a cumbersome federal …read more

Source:: The Denver Post

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *