Schoolboy thanks North-east community for support after fire destroys home


A little boy whose family home was gutted by a fire has had his first ever karate lesson – thanks to community support.

Five-year-old Logan Bannerman saved pocket money to pay for the lessons but his pennies were destroyed in the blaze which ripped through his home in St Peter Street, Peterhead, causing extensive damage.

His parents Catrina and Lee posted on social media how Logan’s dream of starting martial arts classes had been dashed due to the blaze – and friends, family and complete strangers rallied round to raise the money so he could take part.

‘The smoke alarm saved us’ – North-east mum rescues children seconds before fire rips through home

The Peterhead Central Primary School pupil has now had his first lesson – and loved it so much he plans to go back again tonight.

Catrina, 28, said: “Logan absolutely loved it – he had an absolute blast.

“When he arrived, he was a little bit nervous, but he knew a couple of the boys from school and that helped a lot.

“Once he started, he really got into it and I think he’ll be wanting to come back a lot now.”

The Shi-Gaku-Kan Shotokan karate sessions are held three times a week at Peterhead Community Centre in Balmoor Terrace. They are run by Mark and Libby Donaghy.

Mark, who is a sensei (martial arts teacher), said: “It was terrible what happened to Logan’s house.

“Catrina got in touch to say Logan wasn’t going to be able to make it and she was obviously disappointed because we have a long waiting list and she thought Logan would lose his place.

“But we don’t give up places because it wouldn’t be fair, so we found a way round it.

“We have agreed to fund Logan’s uniform, which is about £40, and to fund his fees, so it’s about £65 …read more

Source:: Evening Express – All articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *