Amateur submarine raised — but where is missing journalist?


This photo apparently shows Swedish journalist Kim Wall next to a man in the tower of the private submarine UC3 Nautilus on August 10, 2017 in Copenhagen Harbor.  (Peter Thompson, AFP Getty)

This photo apparently shows Swedish journalist Kim Wall next to a man in the tower of the private submarine UC3 Nautilus on August 10, 2017 in Copenhagen Harbor. (Peter Thompson, AFP Getty)

By JAN M. OLSEN

HELSINKI (AP) — Danish police say they have not found the body of a missing Swedish journalist inside an amateur-built submarine that sank off Denmark’s eastern coast last week.

Copenhagen police spokesman Jens Moller Jensen said Sunday that investigators uncovered no trace of 30-year-old freelance journalist Kim Wall in the UC3 Nautilus sub after it was raised and transported for investigation Saturday.

Police will continue to search for Wall in the waters near the island in Copenhagen’s harbor where the sub’s owner Peter Madsen said he dropped her off late Thursday.

Madsen, 40, made a last-minute escape from the sinking sub and has denied any responsibility on the fate of Wall. He was arrested Friday on preliminary manslaughter charges.

Moller Jensen said there are indications that the Danish inventor deliberately sank the 40-ton, 60-foot-long submarine.

Madsen was ordered held in pre-trial detention for 24 days while police investigate Wall’s disappearance. The inventor says the journalist disembarked before his vessel went down.

Madsen’s defense lawyer, Bettina Hald Engmark, said her client maintains his innocence. He is “willing to cooperate” and hasn’t decided whether to appeal the detention ruling, Hald Engmark said.

Prosecutor Louise Pedersen said Madsen faces the preliminary manslaughter charge “for having killed in an unknown way and in an unknown place Kim Isabell Frerika Wall of Sweden sometime after Thursday 5 p.m.”

Wall’s boyfriend alerted authorities early Friday that the sub had not returned to Copenhagen as expected. The Danish Navy launched a major search involving two helicopters, three ships and several private boats.

Kristian Isbak, who had responded to the Navy’s call to help locate the ship on Friday, told …read more

Source:: The Mercury News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *