Nick Lees: Sorrentino’s family steeped in soccer tradition

Some 200 million people of Italian descent bowed their heads in embarrassment last week when Italy, for the first time in six decades, failed to qualify for soccer’s World Cup.

“A national shame,” cried a Rome daily. Another paper announced it was one of the darkest pages in Italy’s sporting history: “a brutal slap beyond incalculable harm for a country that lives and breathes soccer.”

Disappointment was brief at Sorrentino’s head office on 109 Street, where the 13-restaurant and caffe chain’s president Carmelo Rago was finalizing plans to invest $3.5 million in two new Italian restaurants.

“Italy sadly couldn’t put the ball in Sweden’s net during two legs, or 180 minutes of soccer,” said Rago, a midfielder for Eastern Illinois University in 1969 – 1974.

“Sport is riddled with strange outcomes. We just have to get over it. Presently I am making sure our four sons have a sound footing in the future.”

The Italian forwards obviously didn’t know where the goals posts were and Rago could have shown them. He set a record that still stands, with 20 goals and 11 assists in the year his university team won the U.S. national championships.

Three of the couple’s four son are retired soccer players and the plan to make sure they all have bright business futures began in 2015 with the opening in St. Albert of BUCO Pizzeria and Vino Bar.

The now much-acclaimed contemporary pizzeria off Bellerose Drive boasts a wood-burning oven, very high ceiling and a warm industrial look.

“We’ve always tried to be forward thinking in the restaurant industry with new ideas and looks,” says Rago. “We balance new ideas with what we think people like.”

Due to open in February in Upper Windermere is a 372 square metre, 170-seat BUCO restaurant with an all-day, European-style bar.

In March, the doors open on a BUCO EPCOR Tower …read more

Source:: Edmonton Journal

Trump says he should have left UCLA basketball players in Chinese jail

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says he should have left three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China in jail.

Trump’s tweet Sunday comes after the father of player LiAngelo Ball minimized Trump’s involvement in winning the players’ release in comments to ESPN.

“Who?” LaVar Ball told ESPN on Friday, when asked about Trump’s involvement in the matter. “What was he over there for? Don’t tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out.”

Trump has said he raised the players’ detention with Chinese President Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) during the leaders’ recent meeting in Beijing.

The players returned to the U.S. last week. They have been indefinitely suspended from the team.

Says Trump: “Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!”

Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 19, 2017

The younger Ball, along with fellow freshmen Jalen Hill and Cody Riley, aren’t with the rest of the No. 23 Bruins, who are in Kansas City to play in the Hall of Fame Classic on Monday and Tuesday. The trio isn’t allowed to suit up, be on the bench for home games or travel with the team.

The players were arrested and questioned about stealing from high-end stores next to the team’s hotel in Hangzhou, where the Bruins stayed before leaving for Shanghai to play Georgia Tech.

Related Articles

Source:: The Denver Post

Trump administration officials use Sunday news shows to lie about GOP tax bills

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney appeared on Sunday news shows and lied about the effects of the House and Senate tax bills. In their current forms, the bills will raise taxes for many middle-income Americans, provide a tax break for wealthy Americans and corporations, and significantly increase the deficit.

On Fox Broadcasting Co.’s Fox News Sunday, Mnuchin mischaracterized the bill by claiming that “middle-income people are getting cuts, and rich people are getting very little cuts or in very certain cases increases.” In fact, under the Senate version of the bill, families earning less than $75,000 will see a tax increase while the wealthiest Americans and corporations will see rates go down and enjoy special carve outs, including a tax exemption for private jet management. Host Chris Wallace also pointed out that the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that the bill that just passed the House of Representatives would give “80 percent of its cuts to corporations, businesses, and wealthy families.” From the November 19 edition of Fox News Sunday:

Similarly, on CNN’s State of the Union, Mulvaney falsely claimed that the Senate bill “absolutely [would] not” cost at least $1.5 trillion, in direct contradiction a number of studies that estimate the cost of the bill would be as high as $1.8 trillion. From the November 19 edition of State of the Union:

…read more

Source:: Media Matters for America