Fall TV forecast: Reboots, superheroes and finale fake-outs

You never know exactly what you’re going to witness at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, a 16-day marathon that concluded last week.

So was that really Snoop Dogg riding an insanely tricked-out bike across the stage to hype his new gig as host of an updated version of “The Joker’s Wild”?

Yes, that happened.

The press tour can be a little zany at times, but it also offers an opportunity to get a good read on where the industry is headed as it prepares to unleash a mind-boggling barrage of new fall shows.

With that in mind, here are six things we learned from our long stay in Southern California:

Reboots, revivals and regurgitation

Welcome back to the era of VHS. In an ongoing trend, everything old is new again.

NBC is bringing back “Will & Grace,” and ABC is dusting off “Roseanne,” both of which will return with their original main casts intact. Also, brace yourself for updated remakes of “Dynasty” (The CW) and “S.W.A.T.” (CBS) that offer up fresh faces and “contemporary” story lines.

And, of course, there will be many more to come down the road. We may soon see remakes of “King of the Hill,” “Lost in Space,” “Charmed,” and “The L Word” — just to name a few.

The end isn’t always THE end

Forget how the original runs of “Will & Grace” and “Roseanne” went out. Apparently, it’s OK for producers to rewrite history.

When “Will & Grace” returns, the show will blatantly ignore the 2006 finale that jumped ahead 20 years and had the title characters growing apart as they started new families with Vince (Bobby Cannavale) and Leo (Harry Connick Jr.).

“That was more or less a fantasy,” co-creator David Kohan said. “It was a projection into the future.”

Meanwhile, producers of “Roseanne” will actually raise the dead, reviving John Goodman’s Dan Conner, …read more

Source:: The Mercury News

Prince George police lay charges in alleged abduction attempts

PRINCE GEORGE — A 35-year-old Prince George man faces several charges over allegations he tried to abduct two children in the city.

Police say they were called Tuesday to a disturbance in a playground where a man and woman were fighting.

The man ran off as police approached and they say they were told the man attempted to take a child from the playground before the woman intervened.

Police say they caught up with the man and arrested him a short while later.

After the arrest, police say they received another report that a man with the same description had tried to take a young boy earlier in the day but his mother fought off the man.

Kenneth John of Prince George faces two counts of kidnapping and one count each of assault and obstructing a police officer.

…read more

Source:: Vancouver Sun

Denver-area man allegedly yelled “three people will die today” after running over and killing a delivery van driver

Eric Ukuni

Denver Police DepartmentEric Ukuni

A 26-year-old man who claimed he had a hit list and would kill three people has been formally charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the death of a 66-year-old delivery driver and attempted murder after he carjacked a pickup and tried to run over a man and his daughter.

Denver District Attorney Beth McCann also charged Eric Okano Ukuni on Tuesday with two counts of burglary, two counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery, witness intimidation, two counts of attempted first-degree assault and various other violence-related charges. Altogether Ukuni faces 24 felony charges.

Ernest Gurrini was standing beside a delivery van when Ukuni allegedly drove directly into him. Gurrini was struck and killed, according to a news release by McCann’s spokesman Ken Lane.

On the morning of Aug. 8, after spending the night drinking and using drugs including acid, Ukuni allegedly broke a window, entered Mi Pueblo Market on the 6000 block of East 64th Avenue in Commerce City and attempted to rob employees, a police report says. It was around 7 a.m.

Ukuni then allegedly stole a red Ford pickup in the store’s parking lot after holding a screw driver to the throat of a man and threatening to kill him if his 18-year-old daughter didn’t hand over her phone. The suspect didn’t stab the man but ran around to the other side of the truck. The man and his daughter crawled out the driver’s side of the car.

Ukuni allegedly drove directly at the young woman as if to run her over and she ran behind a concrete barrier to escape, police records say. The man then ran with his daughter as the suspect tried several times to run them over. At one point Ukuni allegedly got out of the truck and chased them on foot, …read more

Source:: The Denver Post