US flies mission north of DMZ, sends message to North Korea

WASHINGTON (AP) In a show of American military might to North Korea, U.S. bombers and flight escorts flew on Saturday to the farthest point north of the border between North and South Korea by any such American aircraft this century. The Pentagon said the mission in international airspace showed how seriously President Donald Trump takes North Korea’s “reckless behavior.”

“This mission is a demonstration of U.S. resolve and a clear message that the president has many military options to defeat any threat,” Defense Department spokesman Dana White said in a statement.

“North Korea’s weapons program is a grave threat to the Asia-Pacific region and the entire international community. We are prepared to use the full range of military capabilities to defend the U.S. homeland and our allies,” White said.

North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, has said Trump would “pay dearly” for threatening to “totally destroy” North Korea if the U.S. was forced to defend itself or its allies against a North Korean attack. Kim’s foreign minister told reporters this past week that the North’s response to Trump “could be the most powerful detonation of an H-bomb in the Pacific.”

North Korea has said it intends to build a missile capable of striking all parts of the United States with a nuclear bomb. Trump has said he won’t allow it, although the U.S. so far has not used military force to impede the North’s progress.

The Pentagon said B-1B bombers from Guam, along with F-15C Eagle fighter escorts from Okinawa, Japan, flew in international airspace over waters east of North Korea on Saturday. The U.S. characterized the flights as extending farther north of the Demilitarized Zone, than any U.S. fighter or bomber had gone off the North Korean coast in the 21st century.

B-1 bombers are no longer part of the U.S. nuclear force, but …read more

Source:: Deseret News – U.S. & World News

Melania Trump, Prince Harry Meet In Toronto Ahead Of Invictus Games

TORONTO — U.S. first lady Melania Trump met Saturday with Britain’s Prince Harry as she led a delegation to Toronto for the opening of an Olympic-style competition for wounded service members and veterans that the prince founded several years ago.

Mrs. Trump was heard telling the prince that she had just arrived on a flight from Washington, her first solo trip outside of the United States as first lady. It was also her first time meeting the prince, the White House said.

The first lady also planned to meet Saturday with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, address the nearly 100 U.S. athletes participating in the week-long Invictus Games and attend the opening ceremony before returning to the White House.

President Donald Trump was spending the weekend at his golf club in central New Jersey.

“Nice to meet you,” Harry said as he was introduced to Mrs. Trump and they shook hands. They stood together and smiled for the British and American news media before sitting in adjoining club chairs placed in front of their countries’ respective flags.

Harry remarked on how busy the first lady has been.

“Yes, very busy,” she said, before offering a compliment in return. “You’re doing a fantastic job,” she said.

Mrs. Trump’s decision to lead the U.S. delegation, whose members include Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin, professional golfer Nancy Lopez and entertainer Wayne Newton, reflects the first lady’s “utmost respect” for the hard work, courage and sacrifice of the U.S. military, said Stephanie Grisham, a spokeswoman for Mrs. Trump.

“She feels strongly that they – and their families – should be honoured every day,” Grisham said.

Grisham said Mrs. Trump also has “great admiration for the role the games have played in empowering those who have been injured while serving.”

At a recent event marking the 70th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force, the first lady …read more

Source:: The Huffington Post – Canada

Right-wing firebrand plans to hold rally at UC Berkeley

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos announced he is planning to hold a rally Sunday at the University of California, Berkeley, after a student group who planned a week of events with him pulled out, leading the school to announce the event was cancelled.

Saturday’s announcement only added to a confusing back-and-forth about the “Free Speech Week” event featuring right-wing firebrands. Yiannopoulos canceled a planned news conference on San Francisco’s Treasure Island and instead made the announcement in a live video on Facebook while railing against UC Berkeley.

Berkeley’s reputation as a liberal stronghold and the birthplace of the 1960s Free Speech Movement has made the city and campus flashpoints for the country’s political divisions since the election of Republican President Donald Trump. Since February, four political demonstrations have turned violent with masked anarchists rioting on campus.

The Berkeley Patriot student organization, which had organized “Free Speech Week,” told university administrators Saturday that their planned four-day event scheduled to start Sunday had been canceled, the university said. Yiannopoulos said he was blindsided and “personally irritated” by that announcement. But he vowed to hold a rally with fellow right-wing commentators at noon on Sunday on Sproul Plaza.

Although the student organization pulled out, “we will not be deterred; we will not be turned away,” Yiannopoulos said.

“We are going to be hosting an event, come hell or high water tomorrow,” he said.

University officials said they had worked around-the-clock and spent more than $1 million to ensure there would be adequate security for the “Free Speech Week” events.

“Claims that this is somehow the outcome desired by the campus are without basis in fact,” UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof said. “The University was prepared to do whatever was necessary to support the First Amendment rights of the student organization.”

Over the last few days, student bulletin boards …read more

Source:: Deseret News – U.S. & World News