79 now believed to have died in London high-rise fire


LONDON — London police said Monday that 79 people were now believed to have died in the high-rise apartment building fire.

Police Commander Stuart Cundy gave the new figure during a statement outside Scotland Yard, saying it includes both people who were confirmed dead and others who are missing and presumed dead. It’s an increase from the previous number of 58.

The new total may change as the investigation continues, Cundy said. The search and recovery operation in the 24-story Grenfell Tower continues, he said, adding that it has been incredibly distressing for families.

“It’s hard to describe the devastation the fire has caused,” Cundy said, fighting back tears as he spoke.

He said it had been “incredibly emotional working in there … On Saturday, I went in myself and went to the top floor.”

Britain held a moment of silence for the victims on Monday, with emergency service workers bowing their heads in respect.

The fire ripped through the high-rise early Wednesday. Cundy told reporters the “awful reality” was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims.

Related ArticlesJune 18, 2017

1 dead, 10 hurt in crash near London mosque suspected as terrorism

June 17, 2017

58 dead and presumed dead in London blaze, U.K. police say

June 17, 2017

Frustration and fury boil over in London as prime minister is heckled visiting fire victims

June 16, 2017

London fire may have destroyed DNA needed to ID victims

June 16, 2017

London fire toll reaches 30 …read more

Source:: The Denver Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *